Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Fry Bread

I have had a mad craving for fry bread lately. I made it as doughnuts a few autumns ago but I wanted it as a real dinner food. So I slow cooked some beans and rice with good mexican spices and caramelized onions and got my fry bread on!



The basic dough recipe is:
4 cups of all purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 - 2 cups warm water

Mix by hand until a dough forms.





Yes, I love my family. And yes, I try to cook healthy. But fry bread needs to be fried in crisco. It just has to be done.



Kneed the dough out and break into 12 small breads.



Drop them gently in the hot oil. The nice thing about frying in crisco is that is spits less than regular oil. But, don't do what I did and dip a bit of my finger in the oil with the bread. That doesn't feel good.





Let them rest and drain a bit on paper towel. And then serve with beans and rice, sour cream and shredded cheese. We are all so full! I said, before dinner, if everyone ate well I'd make more as doughnuts for dessert... but we're so full no one wanted them after all!



enjoy! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment