Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Peach Freezer Jam, Watermelon Jam, and Pickled Watermelon Rinds- part 1


I was hoping to get good local peaches, but summer is tick tocking along so I just used what they had at the grocery. It is made just like the other freezer jams and tastes just as yummy.



My mom and I were talking about how we wished there was a good way to can the yummy-ness of summer melons so I began searching. I found this recipe for Watermelon Jam on Foodinjars.com. I didn't have a thermometer so I just boiled and boiled the watermelon puree. During the boiling, I skimmed off the few seeds that were in it and any bigger chunks of melon. I didn't get it perfect, but I like the imperfections of homemade goodies.

A few people in the comments mentioned pickleing the watermelon rinds, so I looked into that. I'm curious what it will be like. It's an odd combination of spices. The rinds have to soak in a brine overnight so I will finish this project tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment