Search This Blog

Monday, January 9, 2012

Naan bread and Butternut Squash Sauce over Pasta


I'm not very good with yeast breads. I think maybe I'm just not patient enough to let them rise properly. But naan bread is one I can make. Add a Tbsp of yeast and 2 Tbsps of sugar to 1/2 cup warm water. Let is sit and get foamy (5 minutes, max). To this add 1 cup of flour, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 cup clarified butter. Kneed this with enough four to make a good dough; about 3 minutes. Put it in an oiled bowl and let it sit an hour.


For the pasta sauce, I started with 2 onions, sliced, cooked slowly in butter until very soft and carmalized. I added garlic, 2 tsp rosemary and 2 tsp salt. To this I added a jar of the butternut squash I grew and canned this fall. And then 3-4 cups of half and half. Don't let the creamer boil- or scorch or the flavor will be changed. Once the squash is re-softened and the creamer is warm, put the sauce in a blender and blend until smooth. Once it is smooth, add 1/4 cup onion and chive cream cheese.



Mix this with your pasta of choice in an oven safe dish. I put fried onions over top before baking (20 minutes at 400)



After the dough rises, make 6 seperate loaves and put them on oiled cookie sheets. These bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.



Finished dinner- it was amazing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment