Search This Blog

Sunday, June 6, 2010

making sauerkraut

I used to think that I hated sauerkraut. I'm glad I tried it again a few years ago. Now we eat it all the time. The good, fresh stuff can be a little pricey so I looked into making it and found that it is quite simple. All you need is cabbage, salt, a crock or big jar and a knife.

I cut the cabbage quite fine. I've found that when I've tried to use my food processor it did not work very well. The kraut didn't turn out very well. So I stick with cutting it by hand. It's not as fine as what we would buy at the store, but it is still very good.

I layer it in the jar with a little bit of salt sprinkled over each layer.

It needs a little bit of a weight to push the cabbage down under the brine as it is released from the cabbage. I used a glass with some warm water on it. I generally cover this with a cloth (to keep out any flies or what-not) and leave it on the kitchen counter for a few weeks. I'll post again when it gets to that step.

1 comment: