Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

pickled onions- part 1

Andre and I love Ploughman sandwiches, a little dark soda bread, some quality butter, irish cheddar, lettuce and pickled onions. We first had it at an Irish resturant in Plymouth and then tried to recreate it at home. What we found was the onions at the store just aren't right. So I looked into making them and we've been hooked ever since. You can pickle just about anything this way. I've done beets, carrots, broccoli stalks, cucumbers. But onions are my favorite.

I start with a package of red pearl onions. This is really the hardest part. Peel and wash the onions and put them in a clean mason jar. My eyes water like crazy and my hands smell like onions for days no matter what I try but it's worth it.

Add to the jar warm water and enough sea salt to cover the bottom of the jar. Let this sit on your counter for about a week. The brine will soften the onions and make them less "oniony".

Stay tuned for part 2. xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment