Search This Blog

Thursday, April 1, 2010

kitchen sink stew

I tend to read old cookbooks like most people read novels- cover to cover. I was reading one recently from a church group in the early 1900s. They measured everything by the teacup. I thought that was just so simple and poetic. I thought of that while making this stew because I wasn't using exact measurements. It was just what I had on hand.



I had about 5-6 red potatoes getting soft and two huge carrots. So I started with that in water in the crock pot on high. I added some celery and a pound of firm tofu. You could use chicken too I bet. I also added a TB of corn startch mixed in a little water. I let this all cook for a few hours. Then I added a teacup of pearl barley and a teacup of lentils. And I sauted an onion with thyme, celery seed and oregano. I added the onion into the crock pot and also a good measure of salt. It cooked for another 4 hours and then it was dinner time! It was surprisingly good for something so simple!


Irish Brown Bread went with it- yum. Aiden calls it Mom Bread.
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup oats
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (milk + a tsp vinegar)
Mix the dry and then add the milk. Put it in a greased bread pan and bake at 425 for 40 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment